Monday, October 1, 2012

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Mom's Last Day of Chemo in 2007
So everyone today starts the beautiful month of October. Now one thing that is special about October is the fact it is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Breast Cancer can be curable if found in time. My mother is a great example of this. In June of 2007 my mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Luckily, by January 2008 she got to declare herself cancer free. I remember how hard those months were, seeing my mom still do her everyday things and coming to cheer competitions and football games. She still didn't let her cancer bring her down. I still remember the day we shaved her head. It was after my sophomore orientation for high school and when she got up out of her seat we saw all her hair and knew it was time. So we got the family together and all got to be apart of it. We even put her hair in a Mohawk  How many kids get to say they shaved their mothers hair into a Mohawk? Yeah not many. Soon when mom reaches her 5 year mark there is a less likely of a chance for it to come back. So we will keep praying that it does not come back. But there was an upside to this cancer. Yes I am serious an upside. Because my mom got cancer right when I was starting high school I learned to hang out with my mom and have fun with her. I have never had that big time in life when I hated my parents or didn't want to hang with them because I saw how fast and easy it is for them to be gone or sick and I do not want to waste the time that I do have with them. Also, because of cancer my brothers and I have become the best of friends, we hardly fight and know how to help each other and we love being with each other. So yes cancer sucks its a freaking hoe that gets around to anyone it can get and yes sometimes it takes the people we love away from us but something positive needs to come out of this. For me it was learning how important family is and that I need to cherish the moments I have with people because you never know when it is going to be your last.
                     My mom and I in August 2012 [her hair is longer than mine]

No comments:

Post a Comment