Tuesday, January 28, 2014

EFY Withdrawls...

  This weekend was filled with EFY and its only January! Say what? I guess I should explain myself. First, for people who do not know what in the world I am talking about, EFY stands for Especially For Youth. It is a camp organization that is ran by BYU. It a a youth camp for kids 14-18 years old to meet new youth, gain a strong testimony of the Gospel, and to come closer to Christ. Yes it is a camp that is focused on the LDS faith but that does not mean it is only for LDS teens. The kids come for a week, they have classes, activities, a variety show, spiritual moments, meet new friends, and dance! Thats right we have two dances each week! Crazy!! Anyways, that is a little about the program.
  So on Friday I got the opportunity to do an interview to be a counselor for this upcoming summer again. And I got asked the question, why do you want to do this again? You know you get lack of sleep, that some kids are harder than others, and you could get another job, why continue? I sat there for a moment realizing I never asked myself that question before. Than it hit me, because I love seeing the difference the kids make from the beginning to the end of the week. Seeing the shy girls I have ask a boy on a girl choice slow song on friday, or seeing a girl who was confused about the church bare her testimony on that thursday. Seeing those changes made and learning about the Gospel every day for weeks on end. Also, the friends I personally made these past two summers. Seeing how I talk to them and keep in touch with more than some friends I have known for longer. Being able to meet people from all different walks of life, and going to these amazing places. Those are the reasons why I want to do this again. I know that the kids that I have had in the past have made me a better person and I have learned so much from them, and I can see what they learned from each other. It just amazes me.
  Saturday was EFY Express St. George. Wow just getting a taste for what the summer brings, just gets me all excited. The craziness of check in and registration, the classes, the crazy and random talents kids have, and the dances! All of this in one day! Crazy! Even though I did not get my own kids on saturday I still learned from them. I saw the same things I saw last summer. Small changes. It just reassured me that I want to work this summer for EFY. I hope I get to, that Heavenly Father has it in his plan for me to go at least one more summer. I know that this program is amazing. And I love the sleep deprived weeks, the traveling, the new sets of kids every week, and the experiences. It is all worth it. :)
EFY Express St. George 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment